Ideas for My Very First Trip to NYC
January 4, 2013
I have long wanted to take a trip to New York City and to finally see with my own eyes those sights and buildings made famous in so many movies and books. And now my dream will come true! Later this month, my husband and I will be traveling to NYC for four days in the city.
I’ve started a list of things I want to see and do:
- Take a free ride on the Staten Island ferry for views of the Statue of Liberty and the Manhattan skyline
- Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge
- Buy a 7-day MetroCard for unlimited subway rides and use it to explore the city
- Walk the High Line
- Stop by the Union Square Greenmarket
- Ride the Roosevelt Island tram
- Visit the New York Public Library on Fifth Avenue
- Wander around Grand Central Station
- Meander through Central Park
- Visit the American Natural History Museum and the Metropolitan Museum of Art
- Buy a hot dog from a street vendor
- Search for NYC’s best pizza
- Taste test some of NYC’s finest cheesecake
- Eat a bagel (or two)
- Score some tickets to a play
To get me in the mood, I’ve also re-read a classic, award-winning children’s book, From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsberg. It’s about two children, Claudia and her brother Jamie, who run away from home and hide out for one week in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
So, you can see, I am already enjoying myself as I plan for our trip. I’d appreciate any suggestions from you, too. What are your favorite NYC experiences and recommendations?